Biofeedback is the process of making patients aware of automated bodily functions in order to promote self-control of these functions. Biofeedback can be a cognitive practice that does not require the use of assistive devices or an interactive treatment that uses wearable devices or computers to provide feedback of the body’s various functions.
As the patient becomes more aware of certain bodily functions, he or she can generate more cognitive efforts toward increasing control of the functions that may be creating pain, discomfort, or other medical conditions/impairments. In this way, patients can limit the significance of certain impairments or eliminate conditions entirely.
At Advantage Healthcare Systems, we have the knowledgeable staff and equipment to guide patients through a series of effective and life-altering biofeedback sessions. If you have not experienced the desired results from traditional treatment methods, consider the unique wellness approach of biofeedback to either augment or replace your wellness program.
The Biofeedback Process
The biofeedback process will vary based on the approach being taken. If a meditative approach is desired, there may not be a need for computerized devices to monitor the body. A patient can use a self-practice to become more in-tune with their body to slow down breathing and heart rate and reduce stress. A therapist may also guide a meditation session.
For a more active, scientific approach to biofeedback therapy, doctors attach sensors to the patient’s body to measure, amplify, and relay physiological responses within the patient’s body. This creates a visual or more complete idea of a patient’s internal health. Using this feedback, patients can begin to cognitively manipulate their physiological responses to certain stimuli. This sets in motion the ability to truly control, limit, or reverse conditions with continued care/effort.
Conditions Treated With Biofeedback
Biofeedback has been clinically tested to be effective in treating a number of conditions. From cognitive-behavioral conditions to pain, an increased awareness, understanding, and control of your body overall or particular body functions can limit the impact of acute or chronic conditions. Due to its necessary involvement of patient participation and the fact that many conditions will affect patients differently, the results of biofeedback will vary from patient to patient and from condition to condition. Conditions that may be improved through biofeedback include:
- Anxiety – efficacious
- Arthritis – probably efficacious
- Asthma – possibly efficacious
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) – efficacious
- Autism – possibly efficacious
- Bell’s palsy – possibly efficacious
- Cerebral palsy – possibly efficacious
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease – possibly efficacious
- Chronic pain – efficacious
- Coronary artery disease – possibly efficacious
- Cystic fibrosis – possibly efficacious
- Depression – possibly efficacious
- Diabetes mellitus – probably efficacious
- Epilepsy – efficacious
- Erectile dysfunction – possibly efficacious
- Fecal disorders/constipation – efficacious
- Chronic fatigue – possibly efficacious
- Hand dystonia – possibly efficacious
- Headaches – efficacious
- Hypertension – efficacious
- Insomnia – probably efficacious
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – possibly efficacious
- Motion sickness – efficacious
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) – possibly efficacious
- Raynaud’s disease – efficacious
- Repetitive strain injury – possibly efficacious
- Respiratory failure – possibly efficacious
- Stroke – possibly efficacious
- Substance abuse – probably efficacious
- Temporomandibular disorder (TMD) – efficacious
- Tinnitus – possibly efficacious
- Traumatic brain injury – probably efficacious
- Urinary incontinence in females – efficacious and specific
- Urinary incontinence in males – probably efficacious
- Vulvar vestibulitis – probably efficacious
Biofeedback is a proven yet still promising treatment method for numerous conditions. The more research that is conducted, the more understanding doctors will have on how to maximize the results and applications of biofeedback.
Schedule your consultation today to discuss what biofeedback can do to improve your overall health and well-being by calling Advantage Healthcare Systems at (877) 487-8289.