Strategies for Maximizing Your Recovery from Injury
When you’ve suffered any type of injury, it’s common to have a regimen of physical therapy prescribed, so you can return to the same level of activity and functionality you had before the injury. In fact, in many instances, you even may find yourself stronger after physical therapy than you were before the injury. It’s important, though, that you go into any physical therapy regimen with the specific intent of getting as much out of it as possible. Here are some tips for making that happen.
- Pay attention to your body—Your physical therapist is likely to ask a lot of questions about your body. Does it hurt? If so, where? When did the pain start? What were you doing when the pain started? If you have a lot of things going on, you may want to keep a journal, as that will help the physical therapist give you the best level of care.
- Have goals and change them if you reach them—Know what you want to accomplish. If you get there, ask yourself if there’s more you want to do.
- Do your homework—Don’t expect to recover quickly if you only do the exercises when you’re with the physical therapist. Commit to doing the exercises at home, according to the schedule set by your therapist. You might find that it works best if you have one dedicated place in your home where you can exercise without interruption.
- Don’t miss appointments—Physical therapy is both cumulative and progressive. If you miss therapy appointments, it’s like taking a step backward. There can be a tendency to skip an appointment when you are hurting—that’s when you really need to go.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions—Don’t assume anything—if you don’t understand, ask. If something doesn’t seem right, ask. If you are experiencing unusual pain, speak up.
- Focus on one thing at a time—If you’re going to therapy for your elbow, wait until that has been resolved to talk about your knee… unless your knee is causing you far more pain or discomfort.
Make an Appointment Today
At Advantage Healthcare Systems, we have extensive experience determining impairment ratings for people who have been hurt at work. Call Advantage Healthcare Systems toll-free at 1-877-487-8289 to schedule an assessment. We have offices conveniently located in Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio.