Strategies for Living with Ongoing Pain
If you suffer from chronic pain, you know there are many different approaches to managing it. Some work some of the time and others don’t.
At Advantage Healthcare Systems, we have a number of proven remedies to help manage your discomfort, but we also recommend strategies you can employ when your pain flares up and you’re unable to make it to our offices right away.
- Find ways to relax—Chronic pain can be aggravated by tension and tightness. Deep-breathing exercises and meditation practice can alleviate tension and provide some relief from pain. If you have no experience with meditation, you can find a wide array of guided meditation videos online.
- Use your body’s natural pain-relieving chemicals—Your body produces endorphins, which block pain signals and help improve your mood. One of the easiest ways to trigger the production of endorphins is to exercise. Be sure to work with your doctor to create an exercise regimen that won’t exacerbate your condition.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco—For most chronic pain sufferers, getting a good night’s rest can be a challenge. Alcohol tends to interfere with sleep. Cutting back or giving up alcohol can help. Tobacco can have a negative impact on circulation, making pain worse.
- Try to reduce the stress in your life—Stress can elevate your sensitivity to pain. If possible, find ways to walk away from a stressful situation and relax. If your job is stressful, set a timer to remind you to talk a five-minute walk away from your desk every couple of hours. Listen to relaxing music and take a few deep breaths.
- Pay attention to your diet—Your diet can have a significant impact on your pain levels and tolerance. The right foods and portions can keep your weight down, reduce swelling, and aid your digestive process. Your doctor should be able to help you develop healthy eating habits.
Contact Us to Set Up an Appointment
Let us help you take steps to manage your chronic pain. Call Advantage Healthcare Systems toll-free at 1-877-487-8289 or fill out the form provided below to schedule an assessment. We offer locations across Texas, including Fort Worth, Dallas and San Antonio.