Physical Therapy | Occupational Therapy | Speech and Language Therapy | Behavioral Therapy | Cognitive Rehab | Occupational Rehab
Any type of traumatic brain injury (TBI) can have serious consequences—fortunately, because there are a wide range of treatment options, most individuals who sustain a TBI experience a positive recovery. Among the most common types of therapy and treatment for victims of traumatic brain injury are:
- Physical therapy (PT)—PT focuses on improving mobility and restoring motor skills and function while alleviating pain. PT may involve an exercise regimen, light weight training, or the use of assistive devices. It improves balance and strength and can help with core stabilization, gait training, and restoration of the ability to walk and/or run.
- Occupational therapy—This treatment focuses on the day-t0-day activities of life, including housekeeping, shopping, cooking, grooming and dressing, managing your finances, and, if appropriate, driving.
- Speech and language therapy—If your injury affects your ability to communicate verbally, a speech/language pathologist can work with you to strengthen vocal muscles, so that you can produce speech that can be understood by others. You’ll also focus on conversation training to successfully navigate social communication opportunities.
- Behavioral therapy—TBI often leads to depression and anxiety. A behavioral therapist will help you find ways to replace self-destructive behavior with more positive actions.
- Cognitive rehabilitation—Cognitive rehab emphasizes improving brain function, particularly as it relates to attention span, long- and short-term memory, and problem solving.
- Occupational rehabilitation—An occupational rehab specialist will concentrate on preparing you to return to work, if possible. You’ll get a full assessment of your skills, abilities, and interests, with assistance in finding new career opportunities, if necessary.
Contact Us to Set Up an Appointment
At Advantage Healthcare Systems, we have extensive experience working successfully with individuals who suffer a concussion or other type of TBI. Call us toll-free at 1-877-487-8289 or fill out the form provided below to schedule an assessment. We offer locations across Texas, including Fort Worth, Dallas, and San Antonio.