Steps That You Can Take to Reduce the Risk of Second Impact Syndrome
Medical professionals have long known about the risks of second impact syndrome, where you suffer a subsequent head injury before you’ve completely healed from another one. It’s a very serious condition and can be fatal. That’s why, when you’ve suffered any type of bump or blow to the head, you want to take steps to ensure that you’re not unreasonably at risk of another head injury.
What Measures Can You Take to Minimize the Risk of Falling in Your Home?
One of the known symptoms of a concussion or other traumatic brain injury is vertigo or difficulty with your balance. As you’ll likely minimize your activity as you heal, the place you want to attend to is your home. Here are some simple steps you can take to make it less likely that you’ll fall and experience another head injury.
Make General Living Areas Safer
Throughout the house, you’ll want to:
- Take up any area or throw rugs or make certain they have non-skid tape to keep them from moving
- Make certain there are no electrical cords where you will be walking
- Arrange furniture so that you can move about freely
- Avoid furniture that’s too low to the ground—you can easily lose your balance trying to get up from a low chair
Ways to Make Your Bedroom Safer
- Make certain that you have a light that you can reach from your bed, so that you don’t’ have to move around in the dark
- Put night lights in every room, so that you have some level of illumination throughout if you need to get up in the night
- If at all possible, store all your clothes in a dresser, rather than the closet. If in a closet, make certain they are within easy reach.
Reduce the Risk of Injury in the Bathroom or Kitchen
These can often be the areas where you’re most at risk of a fall:
- Put skid-proof rugs or mats where you will be standing, sitting or getting up and down
- Install grab bars in strategic places to help maintain your balance as you move through the room
- Immediately clean up any liquids that spill on the floor
- Store food, dishes, towels and other supplies within easy reach
Contact Us to Set Up an Appointment
At Advantage Healthcare Systems, we have extensive experience working successfully with individuals who suffer any type of concussion, TBI or traumatic brain injury. Call us toll-free at 1-877-487-8289 or fill out the form provided below to schedule an assessment. We offer locations across Texas, including Fort Worth, Dallas and San Antonio.