When You Might Be a Candidate | What You Can Hope to Achieve | How You Can Get Better
In the aftermath of an injury, a primary concern is returning to a condition that allows you to perform your job duties without difficulty. In some situations, you may be able to reestablish fullcapacity through a simple procedure or treatment program like physical therapy. There are, however, instances where a more integrated approach, known as a “functional restoration” program (FRP), is required:
- You’ve gone through a conservative regimen but not recovered sufficiently to do your job,and you’re not a good candidate for surgery;
- You have multiple symptoms or condition—such as lack of mobility, loss of strength, or pain—that require a multi-disciplinary approach; or
- The physical demands of your job are medium-to-high.
What Is a Functional Restoration Program?
An FRP takes an interdisciplinary approach to providing treatment that will help you return to work. Your FRP will be customized to you and to the job you have and typically will include exercises and other activities that replicate the tasks you perform on the job.
The Goals of a Functional Restoration Program
Though the methods employed vary with each patient, there are common goals in an FRP:
- Rebuilding strength,
- Reestablishing flexibility and mobility,
- Increasing endurance,
- Managing pain, and
- Preventing further injury.
Treatment Options in a Functional Restoration Program
Though each FRP is customized based on job tasks and job description, it’s common for a functional restoration program to include the following:
- Exercises to strengthen your core,
- Aerobic exercises to build cardiovascular endurance and capacity,
- Occupational/vocational therapy, and
- Pain management strategies, including psychological therapy.
Throughout the course of a functional restoration program, you can expect your treating physician to regularly evaluate you against anticipated or projected benchmarks. This will give you a good idea of your progress and allow the physician to implement different treatment options, if necessary.
Contact Us to Set Up an Appointment
Let us help you take steps to return to peak performance at work! Call Advantage Healthcare Systems toll-free at 1-877-487-8289, or fill out the form provided below to schedule an assessment. We offer locations across Texas, including Fort Worth, Dallas, and San Antonio.