Steps You Can Take for Better Rest after a Traumatic Brain Injury
After a concussion or traumatic brain injury, your brain and your body both need rest. Unfortunately, one of the common side effects of a TBI is insomnia, where you toss and turn or sleep in fits and starts. What can you do to get the best possible rest after a concussion or traumatic brain injury?
Recommendations for Sleeping Better after a Concussion
To some extent, your ability to get good rest will be beyond your control. Furthermore, you don’t want to use pharmaceutical products to sleep, as they can have a detrimental impact on brain health. Here are some simple steps you can take to improve your chances of getting a good night’s sleep:
- Follow a strict schedule—Go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning (even if you still feel tired when you wake). Don’t change your routine based on the day of the week—i.e., don’t stay up later just because it’s Saturday night. You’re trying to train your brain and body to know when it’s time to sleep and when it’s time to be awake.
- Don’t engage in certain activities right before you go to bed—Watching television, spending time on a computer screen or engaging in any activity that requires significant mental effort can interfere with your ability to fall asleep. Instead, find ways to relax, such as listening to gentle music, taking a bath or shower or having a cup of tea.
- Have a bedtime routine—Do the same things every night as you prepare for bed. That may include brushing your teeth, having a warm beverage or reading a book.
- Don’t take naps during the day, if at all possible—If you must, take a short nap early in the afternoon. Otherwise, you’ll find it difficult to fall asleep.
- If you don’t fall asleep within 20-30 minutes, get out of bed and find some relaxing activity to calm you down
- Eliminate caffeine and other stimulants from your diet, if possible
- Make certain your sleeping area is dark and that the temperature is conducive to sleep
Contact Us to Set Up an Appointment
At Advantage Healthcare Systems, we have extensive experience working successfully with individuals who suffer any type of concussion, TBI or traumatic brain injury. Call us toll-free at 1-877-487-8289 or fill out the form provided below to schedule an assessment. We offer locations across Texas, including Fort Worth, Dallas and San Antonio.