Treatment Goals and Options
Whiplash can be one of the most debilitating injuries you’ll ever suffer, with headaches, stiffness, and intense pain that can make it difficult to sit, stand, lie down, or move about. With proper medical treatment, you can minimize the short- and long-term impact on your daily life.
Goals When Treating Whiplash
The overall goal when treating whiplash is a return to normal health, with the ability to do the things you’ve always loved or needed to do. After a whiplash injury, your most important objectives are likely to be:
- minimizing or eliminating all pain caused by your injury, and
- restoring flexibility and normal range of motion in your neck, shoulders, and back.
Options for Treating a Whiplash Injury
The prescribed treatment depends, to a significant degree, on the severity of the injury. For mild whiplash, over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers may be sufficient. After a more serious injury, you might require prescription drugs, physical therapy, or some type of pain treatment.
Among the recommended responses to whiplash are:
- Rest—Regardless of the extent of your injury, you should take it easy for a few days, in order to allow muscles and nerves to recover and swelling to abate. Unless your doctor prohibits it, though, you should start moving around within a couple days or else your recovery may take longer.
- Muscle relaxants—In addition to painkillers and anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants can help, as much discomfort is caused by tightness (your body’s natural response to trauma).
- Heat and cold—Heat loosens your muscles, and cold reduces pain and swelling. Alternate heat and cold for 15 minutes once every three to four hours.
- Pain injections—An injection can numb painful muscles and allow you to participate in physical therapy.
- Foam collars—A foam collar can stabilize your neck to allow more rapid healing.
Contact Us to Set Up an Appointment
At Advantage Healthcare Systems, we have extensive experience working successfully with individuals who suffer a whiplash injury. Call us toll-free at 1-877-487-8289 or fill out the form below to schedule an assessment. We offer locations across Texas, including Fort Worth, Dallas, and San Antonio.