Holistic Approaches to the Treatment of Persistent Pain
When you have to deal with physical pain on a daily basis, it can be virtually paralyzing. You may find it difficult or impossible to work. You may be forced to give up activities that you love because the pain is too much to bear. It can make the simplest tasks of daily life a burden.
Fortunately, there are ways to treat chronic pain. Far too often, though, the medical approach is a pharmaceutical one—the use of prescription or over-the-counter drugs. Unfortunately, that approach rarely leads to improvement or the long-term alleviation of pain—you just have to keep taking the medicine. There are, however, other approaches that can address the source of your pain and help address it.
Physical Conditioning and Exercise Programs
Particularly when some of the source of your pain is muscular, a program to increase strength and stamina can be beneficial. It may involve progressive weight training, resistance exercises (using elastic bands and similar devices) or yoga/stretching exercises.
Specific Treatments and Technologies
Developments in science and technology have led to a variety of procedures that can alleviate some aspects of chronic pain, including:
- Massage therapy — This can reduce tension in connective tissue, often a significant source of pain.
- Hot and cold packs — Heat relaxes and loosens tissue, and stimulates blood flow, promoting healing. Ice or cold typically reduces inflammation.
- Whirlpools — A whirlpool is essentially a “water massage”.
- Paraffin treatments — The heat generated by a paraffin treatment can have a soothing effect on arthritis and joint pain.
- Acupuncture — This process uses needles to stimulate nerves at specific points in the body, helping reduce chronic pain.
- Ultrasound – Ultrasound produces sound waves, which can function like microscopic vibrations or massages.
- Mechanical traction — Traction is designed to gently stretch and loosen muscles and connective tissue.
Contact Us to Set Up an Appointment
Today’s the day to do something about your pain! Call Advantage Healthcare Systems toll-free at 1-877-487-8289 or fill out our form provided below to schedule an assessment. We offer locations across Texas, including Fort Worth, Dallas and San Antonio.